Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Warm Up
- Go to
- Click Wave applet
- Use the applet to decide who is correct.
Slide 2 - Interference
- interference is when two waves combine to form a resultant wave of greater or lower amplitude.
Slide 4 - Constructive interference
- When two waves meet, they interfere with each other.
- If they meet each other exactly in phase, the amplitudes ‘add up’ to produce large crests and troughs.
- This is called constructive interference.
Slide 5 - CONSTRUCTIVE INTERFERENCE
- larger displacement (larger amplitude)
- crest overlaps crest
- or trough overlaps trough
Slide 6 - Destructive interference
- This is called destructive interference.
- If two waves meet each other exactly out of phase, the amplitudes ‘subtract’ to produce no peaks or crests.
Slide 7 - DESTRUCTIVE INTERFERENCE
- smaller displacement (smaller amplitude)
- crest cancels trough
- crest overlaps trough
- displacement/ amplitude is reduced
Slide 8 - This is how noise canceling headphones work!