Yammer as educational playground
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Yammer aseducational playground
- Lidija Kralj, Croatia Mathematics & Computer Science TeacherTeacher advisor, eTwinning ambassador
Slide 2 - In Croatia
- Office 365, including Yammer is freely available to all teachers and students in primary and secondary schools.
- We all have digital identity defined on national level with domain @skole.hr,
- Every person is easily recognizable by their AAI identity
Slide 3 - Safety first
- Use of social networks in education:
- protect students' data,
- warn students about oversharing and
- prevent cyberbullying.
Slide 4 - Start small & avoid chaos
- One class of 24 eight graders (aged 14).
- I'm their mathematics and class teacher
- Having a group just for hanging out and chatting is not enough for me and not enough to reach some educational goals.
- I started with topics connected with our current maths curriculum & links to tutorials
Slide 6 - Fostering creativity
- Students create content
- Yammer – place for collaboration and communication in the process of creation
- After geometric construction students saved pictures and published them in our Yammer group.
- In just few minutes our beautiful digital gallery was online
Slide 8 - Organization & Information
- Introduction of tags and hashtags
- Shared files could be easily viewed & downloaded
- File section of the group as repository
- Publishing new schedule as pinned note.
Slide 9 - Professional orientation
- Created presentations about future schools
- Attached them to the posts
- Tagged properly as #skole
- Presenting as professionals – perfect presentation preview in Yammer
- All schools are now in our Yammer base
Slide 11 - Collaboration discovered
- Possibilities to download, email, delete, view full screen and even to upload newer versions of files.
- Files could be marked as official and locked for changes.
- Commenting tools
Slide 12 - Settling down
- Collection of files is growing
- Students are creating Yammer album with photos taken during 8 school years they’ve spent together
Slide 13 - Power users
- Students finished their Mathematical tasks in Office Mix, continued with Mix & Sway
- Started new round of „Interactive math”
- Topics distributed & debated in Yammer
- Works collected & commented in Yammer
- Yammer as virtual classroom and our digital home
Slide 15 - Results
- All in one simple solution for students and teachers
- 8 classes, 5 teachers
- We are reachable via Yammer
- Communication not only professional
- Showing students how I share their work (articles, lectures)
- @Lidija Kralj