The Music of India
Created 3 years ago
Virtual Field Trip to India that studies musical instruments and characteristics and their influence on American music.
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - The Music of India
- Discover the World with Music!
Slide 2 - Where is India?
- Go to http://www.google.com/maps and choose the “Earth option”
- Search for India
- What continent is India part of?
- What countries are around India?
- Take a few minutes to explore the pictures of India on google earth
Slide 3 - Sitar
- The sitar is a native instrument of India
- Let’s hear it!
- Uses two sets of strings, one sympathetic
- Do you know any songs that use a sitar?
Slide 4 - What are the characteristics of Indian music?
- Major characteristics of Indian music are the Raga and the Tala
- Raga is the structure of melody
- Tala is the structure of rhythm
Slide 5 - What songs do you know that have an Indian influence?
- Recognize this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8&feature=player_embedded&safe=active
- How about this? http://www.whosampled.com/sample/16717/Britney-Spears-Toxic-Lata-Mangeshkar-S.-P.-Balasubramaniam-Tere-Mere-Beech-Mein/
- Can you name any more?
Slide 6 - Use the virtual instrument museum to find and explore more instruments from India
Slide 7 - Now it’s your turn!
- You are going to create a Virtual Field Trip of your own!
- I will:
- -Divide you into groups
- -Help you choose a region for study
- -Discuss your assignment requirements (see checklist next page)
Slide 8 - Requirement
- PP contains a visually interesting title slide.
- PP contains an interactive feature (map, pictures, tour, etc.) to explore region.
- PP presents information on at least one instrument per student in the group (3 students= minimum of 3 instruments)
- PP contains pictures/diagrams of all instruments discussed.
- PP contains audio and/or video of each instrument discussed.
- PP contains at least four salient characteristics of music of the region
- PP contains at least two examples (including audio) of American songs/pieces that show influence from the region being discussed.
- PP contains the option for further exploration about the music of the region
- Slides are organized and information is presented in a logical sequence.
- PP contains no grammatical or spelling errors.
Slide 9 - Citations
- Don't Come Around Here No More. Perf. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. N.d. Youtube. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8&feature=player_embedded&safe=active>.
- Tere Mere Beech Mein. Perf. Lata Mangeshkar and S. P. Balasubramaniam. Laxmikant-Pyarelal, n.d. WhoSampledApp. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. <http://www.whosampled.com/sample/16717/Britney-Spears-Toxic-Lata-Mangeshkar-S.-P.-Balasubramaniam-Tere-Mere-Beech-Mein/>.
- "The Visual Dictionary." 2005-2011. Volume 4: Indian Instruments. <http://www.infovisual.info/04/005_en.html>.
- Toxic. Perf. Britney Spears. Bloodyshy and Avant, n.d. TheWhoSampledApp. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. <http://www.whosampled.com/sample/16717/Britney-Spears-Toxic-Lata-Mangeshkar-S.-P.-Balasubramaniam-Tere-Mere-Beech-Mein/>.