9 Weekly session Acts audio
Email this Mix
Slide 2 - 2015 Spring Study
- “Preparing For The Future”
- Session 9:
- Survey of The New Testament
Slide 4 - The Acts
- This book traces the development of the New Testament church from the day of Pentecost until the recorded end of Paul’s ministry. This book, written by Luke, is an “historical” account of Christianity with a special emphasis on the apostle Paul and his missionary journeys.
Slide 5 - Also written by Luke the book of Acts is the historical account of the growth of the early church. Included in this book is the account of the day of Pentecost, the establishment of the church of Christ, and how the church spread by evangelism and persecution. In this book we are introduced to first Peter, preacher to the Jews, and then to Paul, formally Saul of Tarsus, who became the preacher to the Gentiles. Paul’s missionary journeys are outlined in this book by Luke the historian as he traveled with Paul. The book ends with Paul imprisoned in Rome. Acts provides the background of the Epistles which constituted the major part of the rest of the New Testament. Many of the events in Acts directly correspond to the Epistles. Also called the book of conversions for it emphasizes salvation written 64 AD.
Slide 6 - ACTS: A Teaching Outline
- Part One: The Witness in Jerusalem (1:1—8:3)
- I. The Power of the Church 1:1—2:47
- A. Introduction to Acts 1:1-3
- B. Appearances of the Resurrected Christ 1:4-8
- C. Ascension of Christ 1:9-11
- D. Anticipation of the Holy Spirit 1:12-14
Slide 7 - E. Appointment of Matthias 1:15-26
- F. Filling with the Holy Spirit 2:1-4
- G. Speaking with Other Tongues 2:5-13
- H. Peter Explains Pentecost 2:14-39
- I. Practices of the Early Church 2:40-47
- II. The Progress of the Church 3:1—8:3
- A. Peter Heals the Lame Man 3:1-10
- B. Peter's Second Sermon 3:11-26
Slide 8 - C. Peter and John Are Arrested 4:1-4
- D. Peter Preaches to the Jewish 4:5-12Sanhedrin
- E. Sanhedrin Commands Peter Not to 4:13-22Preach
- F. Apostles' Prayer for Boldness 4:23-31
- G. Early Church Voluntarily Shares 4:32-37
Slide 9 - H. Ananias and Sapphira Lie 5:1-11
- I. Apostles' Mighty Miracles 5:12-16
- J. Apostles' Persecution 5:17-42
- K. Deacons Are Appointed 6:1-7
- L. Stephen is Martyred 6:8—7:60
- M. Saul Persecutes the Church 8:1-3
Slide 10 - Part Two: The Witness in Judea and Samaria (8:4—12:25)
- I. The Witness of Philip 8:4-40
- A. Philip Witnesses to the Samaritans 8:4-25
- B. Philip Witnesses to the Ethiopian 8:26-40
- II. The Conversion of Saul 9:1-31
- A. Saul is Converted and Blinded 9:1-9
- B. Saul is Filled with the Holy Spirit 9:10-19
Slide 11 - C. Saul Preaches at Damascus 9:20-22
- D. Saul Witnesses in Jerusalem 9:23-31
- III. The Witness of Peter 9:32—11:18
- A. Peter Heals Aeneas at Lydda 9:32-35
- B. Peter Raises Dorcas at Joppa 9:36-43
- C. Peter Witnesses to Cornelius at Caesarea 10:1—11:18
Slide 12 - IV. The Witness of the Early Church 11:19—12:24
- A. The Witness of the Antioch Church 11:19-30
- B. The Persecution by Herod 12:1-24
- Part Three: The Witness to the End of the Earth (12:25—28:31)
- I. The First Missionary Journey 12:25—14:28
- A. Barnabas and Saul are Sent from Antioch
Slide 13 - B. Ministry at Cyprus 13:4-12
- C. Ministry at Antioch 13:13-50
- D. Ministry at Iconium 13:51—14:5
- E. Ministry at Lystra 14:6-20
- F. Ministry on the Return Trip 14:21-25
- G.Report on the First Missionary Journey 14:26-28
- II. The Jerusalem Council 15:1-35
- A. Debate over Gentiles Keeping the Law 15:1-5
Slide 14 - B. Peter Preaches Salvation through Grace 15:6-11
- C. Paul and Barnabas Testify 15:12
- D. James Proves Gentiles Are Free from the Law 15:13-21 E. The Council Sends an Official Letter 15:22-29
- F. Report to Antioch 15:30-35
- III. The Second Missionary Journey 15:36—18:22
Slide 15 - A. Disagreement over John Mark 15:36-41
- B. Derbe and Lystra: Timothy is 16:1-5Circumcised
- C. Troas: Macedonian Call 16:6-10
- D. Philippi: Extensive Ministry 16:11-40
- E. Thessalonica: "Turn the World Upside 17:1-9Down"
- F. Berea: Many Receive the Word 17:10-15
- G. Athens: Paul's Sermon in the 17:16-34Areopagus
Slide 16 - H. Corinth: One-and-a-half Years of 18:1-17Ministry
- I. Return Trip to Antioch 18:18-22
- IV. The Third Missionary Journey 18:23—21:14
- A. Galatia and Phrygia: Strengthening 18:23the Disciples
- B. Ephesus: Three Years of Ministry 18:24—19:41
Slide 17 - C. Macedonia: Three Months of Ministry 20:1-6
- D. Troas: Eutychus Falls from Loft 20:7-12
- E. Miletus: Paul Bids Farewell to Ephesian Elders 20:13-38
- F. Tyre: Paul is Warned about Jerusalem 21:1-6
- G.Caesarea: Agabus' Prediction 21:7-14
- V. The Trip to Rome 21:15-28:31
- A. Paul Witnesses in Jerusalem 21:15—23:33
- B. Paul Witnesses in Caesarea 23:34—26:32
- C. Paul Witnesses in Rome 27:1—28:31
Slide 18 - Acts 1 and 2
- Luke 24:44-53
- 44 Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."
- 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
Slide 19 - Acts 1 and 2
- 46 Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise* from the dead the third day,
- 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
- 48 And you are witnesses of these things.
- 49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem* until you are endued with power from on high."
Slide 20 - Acts 1 and 2
- The Ascension
- (Mark 16:19,20; Acts 1:9)
- 50 And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them.
- 51 Now it came to pass, while He blessed them, that He was parted from them and carried up into heaven.
- 52 And they worshiped Him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy,
- 53 and were continually in the temple praising and* blessing God. Amen.*
Slide 21 - Acts 1:1-10
- 1 The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
- 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen,
- 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
Slide 22 - The Holy Spirit Promised
- 4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me;
- 5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
- 6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, "Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"
Slide 23 - 7 And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.
- 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me* in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." Jesus Ascends to Heaven (Mark 16:19,20; Luke 24:50-53)
- 9 Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.
Slide 24 - Acts 2:1-4 Coming of the Holy Spirit
- When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord* in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
- 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
- 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Slide 25 - Only the Apostles Received . . .
- Acts 2:14
- 14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
- Acts 2:43
- Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
Slide 26 - The House of Cornelius
- Acts 10:44-48
- 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
- 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
- 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.
- Then Peter answered,
- 47 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"
- 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.
Slide 27 - Peter tells what he saw . . .
- Acts 11:15-18
- 15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at THE BEGINNING. 16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, 'John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' 17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?"
- 18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."
Slide 28 - Acts is part of the foundation . . .
- Much is learned in the book of Acts
- How the church operates?
- How we put in church leaders?
- Many patterns are given in Acts.
- Every church leader should do a detailed study of this most important book.
Slide 29 - Outline of Future 2014 Sessions
- JANUARY 2015
- 19 Orientation
- 26 Inspiration of Scripture
- 2 Genesis Though Deuteronomy 9 Joshua Through 2 Chronicles 16 The Prophets
- 23 The Old Testament Poetry
- NEW TESTAMENT SURVEY
- 2 The Synoptic Gospels
- 9 The Gospel of John
- 16 Acts
- 23 The Epistles to congregations
- 30 The Epistles to Individuals
- 6 The Epistles to Workers in the Kingdom
- 13 Revelation 20 The Life of Christ Part 1
- 27 The Life of Christ Part 2
- 4 The Life of Christ Part 3 11 The Teachings of Christ Part 1
- 18 The Teachings of Christ Part 2
- 25 The Gospel of Christ
- 1 The Just Shall Live By Faith
- 8 Examples of Conversion
- 15 Process of Conversion Part 1
- 22 Process of Conversion Part 2
- 29 Last Will and Testament of Christ
Slide 30 - Outline of Future 2014 Sessions
- JULY 2015
- 6 “I’m A New Man” (New Creature)
- 13 The Christ, The Cross, and The
- 20 The Establishment of The Church
- 27 The Identity of The Church
- 3 New Testament Worship
- 10 Authority, The Pattern, and
- Innovation (1)
- 17 Authority, The Pattern, and
- Innovation (2)
- 24 Authority, The Pattern, and
- Innovation (3)
- 31 Authority, The Pattern, and
- Innovation (4)
- 7 Basis For Christian Unity
- 14 Fellowship
- 21 Spiritual Gifts and Miracles
- 28 Church Government
- 5 Church Discipline
- 12 Discipleship
- 19 Works of Flesh and Fruits of Spirit
- 26 The Christian Graces
- 2 Love & The Law of Love
- 9 The Devil and Temptation
- 16 The Holy Spirit
- 23 CLOSED FOR HOLIDAY
- 30 TO BE DESIDED
- 7 TO BE DESIDED
- 14 TO BE DESIDED