Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Separating substances
Slide 2 - To Separate 5 different substances from each other using the correct equipment.
Slide 3 - Quiz!
Slide 4 - Salt, sand, rice, polystyrene, iron fillings, magnet, water, 2x beaker, 1x 100ml beaker, watch glass, tripod, gauze mat, Bunsen burner, stand, filter paper, string rod, funnel, boss clamp and sieve.
Slide 5 - Quiz!
Slide 6 - 1. Use the magnet to remove iron fillings
- 2. Pour the mixture into the sieve then pour into beaker ( 3 of the sieve sizes )
- 3. Add 50ml into the mixture
- 4. Add folded filter paper to funnel
- 5. Then put the mixture into the funnel
- 6. Set up the tripod/gauze mat and Bunsen Burner
- 7. Half fill the 100ml beaker and place on tripod/ gauze mat
- 8. Pour the mixture into the watch glass
- 9. Careful put the watch glass on top of the 100ml beaker
- 10. Light the Bunsen burner and place under the tripod
- 11. Wait for evaporation
- 12. Leave the Bunsen burner and salt crystals to cool down
Slide 9 - Quiz!
Slide 11 - In this experiment we first separated iron filings from the mixture by using the magnet. The next thing we separated was the foam and the rice, we separated them by putting the mixture into the sieve and the larger particles got trapped and the smaller particles went straight through. Then we separated the sand from the salt, we did this by putting water in the salt and sand, then mixed it so the salt dissolved into the water making salty water. Then we poured that mixture into the funnel which had the filter paper in it. The residue (salty water) came through and the filtrate (sand) stayed at the top. The next step was to let the salty water boil so that the water would evaporate leaving the salt crystals in the watch glass. The evaporation and crystallization of the salty water worked the best and the filtering didn’t really work because I accidently made a hole in the paper and we had to redo it. I we only had two thing that I thought I would change and that would be to change step 1 to step 2 and step 2 to step 1 and also to change the amount of water we add to 100ml.
Slide 12 - Habit of mind used.
- Finding Humour
- - We used humour as much as we could
- Thinking flexible
- - Our group had to think flexible because I made a hole in the filter paper
- Applying past knowledge to new situations
- - We use our past knowledge to light the Bunsen burner and we also learn how to use the magnet
Slide 13 - We Separated 5 different substances from each other by using Evaporation and dilatation, Filtering, Sieving and Magnetism