Indus River Valley Civilization 2.0
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Indus River Valley Civilization
- Honors World History
- Mrs. Snider
Slide 2 - CSOs/NxG Standards
- SS.9.H.CL2.1 compare and contrast the causes and effects of the rise and decline of ancient valley civilizations.
- SS.9.H.CL2.2 investigate the various components of culture and civilization including customs, norms, values, traditions, political systems, economic systems, religious beliefs, and philosophies in ancient river civilization.
Slide 3 - Geography
- Located in modern day India and Pakistan
- Hindu Kush, Karakorum, and Himalayan ranges separates this region from the rest of the continent.
- The two major rivers that supply the area with fertile land are the Indus and Ganges Rivers.
- Environmental challenges include: monsoons, unpredictable floods, & the rivers sometimes change course.
Slide 4 - Origins and rise
- First inhabitants may have entered into the area through the Khyber Pass in the Hindu Kush
- 7000 B.C. archaeologists have found evidence of domestication and an agricultural society.
- First cities were established around 2500 B.C.
- Why would the Indus River Valley be ideal for creating an early civilization?
- Khyber Pass today courtesy of Britannica
Slide 5 - City Development
- The main two cities from this region are Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa.
- They created strong levees and man-made islands to avoid flood waters.
- Sophisticated city planning that included: precise grid system, citadel, standard size oven-baked bricks, plumbing and sewage system.
- How did their city development compare to other civilizations we have studied thus far?
Slide 6 - Political System, Economy, & Culture
- Type of government: theocracy.
- Trade with people from Mesopotamia & Afghanistan. Major export item was brightly colored cloth.
- Religion: artifacts reveal links to modern Hinduism. They believed in many gods.
- Language: Unknown, but similar to hieroglyphs.
- Culture: children’s toys, limited weapons, limited social divisions, & presence of animals.
- What does their culture, economic and political systems say about their society?
- Harappan seals
Slide 7 - Decline
- Their decline is a mystery.
- Around 1750 B.C. quality of buildings declined.
- Theories include: major epidemic disease, major earthquake, great flood, invaders and war, and/or the overuse of soil.
- What do you believe led to the decline of the ancient Indus Valley civilizations?
- The bearded figure might have been a Harappan god or priest king.
- Burials included everyday objects with the dead.
Slide 8 - Preview the videos below that summarize the Ancient Indus River valley Civilization.
- Indus River Valley: Crash Course Episode 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ndRwqJYDM
- Indus Valley Civilization - Ancient Civilizations | Mocomi Kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDY4KJuvc0
Slide 9 - Review the Websites below before taking The Quiz.