Email this Mix
Tags: Physical Science
Slide 1 - Waves
- And their characteristics
- CSO: SC.O.PS.2.19 differentiate between transverse and longitudinal waves and model examples of each type and relate to water, light and sound waves.
Slide 2 - What is a wave?
- a disturbance that transmits energy through matter or space.
Slide 3 - Two kinds of Mechanical Waves:
- 1) Longitudinal –
- the medium moves back and forth in the same direction the waves travels
- areas where the medium is forced together by the wave
- the expand area the wave leaves behind
Slide 4 - Mechanical Waves Continued
- 2) Transverse
- the wave moves at right angles to the medium it is traveling through Example: ocean waves
Slide 5 - 3 Properties of Waves
- 1) Amplitude
- the maximum distance molecules of the medium are displaced from their original position
- the distance between two consecutive crest or two consecutive troughs
Slide 6 - 3 Properties of Waves (cont.)
- 3) Frequency
- the number of vibrations that occur in one second of time.
- measured in hertz 1 Hz = 1 vibration per second
Slide 7 - Introduction to Waves: Amplitude, Period, and Frequency
Slide 8 - MATH!
- Wave speed-
- the velocity at which a wave passes through a medium
- Velocity (v) = wavelength (__) x frequency (f)
- v = ___ x f
Slide 10 - Make Some Waves
Slide 11 - Quiz
Slide 12 - Quiz Question 2
Slide 13 - Quiz Question 3
Slide 14 - GREAT WORK TODAY
- Now its time for SLINKY LAB