Programming Skills: Troubleshooting
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Programming Skills
- Debugging a Program
Slide 2 - “My computer deleted my homework!”
- Computers never make mistakes.
- They do exactly what the programmer tells them to do.
- If something goes wrong, it can be fixed.
Slide 3 - Debugging
- Debugging is a process that is used to systematically check and fix a faulty program
Slide 4 - Debugging is systematic
- Debugging requires controlling variables
- That means, making one change at a time
- If you make many changes at once, you won’t know what actually fixed the problem (and you may even cause more problems)
Slide 5 - Rules for Debugging
- SAVE AS: Save As your program before doing any debugging and after any successful steps. (You should have many versions of each program with slightly different names).
- CHANGELOG: Keep a record, called a “changelog” of every change you make. Take note if it was successful or unsuccessful. (This is especially important when working with other programmers on the same code).