MGT 220 Presentation - Social Responsibility in an Organization
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - MGT 220
- Research assistance for your Week 3 assignment
- Matthew LaBrake
- Library Director for Online Degree Programs
Slide 2 - Your Assignment
- Select an organization that you are interested in researching. Evaluate the social responsibility approach of that company with regard to one of the following social issues: a) environmental protection, b) worker health and safety, or c) product safety. Has the company been in a reaction, defense, accommodation or pro-action mode with regard to the social issue? Explain your answer. Your paper should be 1 - 2 pages. Make sure to cite your source(s).
Slide 3 - Why databases?
- Databases are searchable collections of academic journals, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, reference books, company reports, etc.
- Library databases get their information from professionals or experts in the field. We know information found in them is reliable for academic research.
- Library databases are easy to cite in a bibliography and many create the citation for you. You need to cite all of your sources in MLA format.
- Library databases can help you narrow down your topic or suggest related subjects. This is an important part of the research process.
- Library databases are updated frequently and include the date of publication. It is important that your paper contains current information.
Slide 4 - Best database for this assignment:ProQuest ABI/inform complete
- The library subscribes to over 80 scholarly databases. Some are general while others specialize in particular subject areas.
Slide 5 - Developing Key Words
- Searching in a database is not the same as searching on the Internet. Using targeted “key words” in your search string will give you much more focused results. Think of related key words that will help you search for your topic.
- If you aren’t successful with your first search attempt, change around your key words and try again.
- EX: Social Responsibility
- Related Key Words - Social Issues, Business Ethics, Sustainability, Civic Involvement, Community Partnership, Corporate Citizenship, Accountability
- Related Subtopics – Environment, Safety, Health, Pollution, Recycling, Awareness
Slide 6 - Access Library Databases through blackboard
Slide 7 - Browse the databases by subject, OR select “A-z List” to see an alphabetical list of databases
Slide 8 - Select ABI/inform complete from the list
Slide 9 - Perform a search for your company and topic
- Using Starbucks as my organization for this example
Slide 10 - Adding “Quotations” around your key words will ensure your search only brings back results that have those words in order.
Slide 11 - limit your search by publication date to find the most up to date information available
- Wow, less than 1/10 of the results we started with
Slide 12 - Use additional key words to limit your results even further
Slide 13 - Select an article, read through it, take notes, and make sure to cite your source
Slide 14 - Need Immediate help? Chat with a Librarian!!http://berkeleycollege.libguides.com/LibChat
- Monday-Thursday - 8:30AM-11:30PM
- Friday – 9AM-9PM
- Saturday – 9AM-2PM & 7PM-11PM
- Sunday – 7PM-11PM