Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Is Global Warming Happening?
- YES IT IS…..
Slide 2 - Global Warming Has Been Happening for about 2.5 Million Years
- The current cycle global warming started during the Ice Age that ended about 10,000 years ago.
- Ice Ages Cycle at a frequency of 40,000 to 100,000 years historically.
- Global warming periods (interglacial periods) usually last about 12,000 years with some extending to 28,000 years.
- The earth has been in an interglacial period known as the Holocene interglacial period for more than 11,000 years.
Slide 3 - The Current Holocene Interglacial Period
- Temperatures have been increasing for the last 2000 years
- But not to the level they were 8,000 years ago
- For the last 6,000 years temperatures have been trending down including recent increases
Slide 4 - Global Warming (and Cooling) has been Happening for 5 Million Years
- (1) Benthic carbonate (δ18O) is used as a measure of temperature in precipitation.
Slide 5 - CO2 has been increasing during Global Warming Periods for thousands of years
Slide 6 - Atmospheric dust has been increasing before Global Warming periods for thousands of Years
- By Vostok-ice-core-petit.png: NOAA derivative work: Autopilot (Vostok-ice-core-petit.png) [CC-BY-SA-3.0
Slide 7 - Is dust or CO2 the cause of Global Warming?
Slide 8 - Does the increase in CO2 and other green house gases cause Global Warming?
- NO One Is Sure BUT…
- As the oceans warm they release stored CO2.
- As permafrost melts methane is released into the atmosphere.
- Water vapor increases.
- Is it possible that Green House Gases are a result of Global Warming and NOT the Cause?
- CO2: The Thermostat that Controls Earth's Temperature
Slide 9 - Can man change Global Warming by reducing green house gases?
- Maybe BUT….
- Global Warming Cycles have Been Occurring for Millions of Years before man was a factor.
- As the earth warms green house gases like water vapor in clouds, CO2 released by warmer ocean waters and methane released by the warming tundra dominate any changes introduced by man.
- Global Warming Cycles have been and will likely continue to re-occur with or without interference from humans.
Slide 12 - Thank You For Viewing this Presentation
- Institute for Rational Government Policy
- John Lauer, Chairman
Slide 13 - More Global Warming References
- 800,000-year Ice-Core Records of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
- Historical Carbon Dioxide Record from the Vostok Ice Core
- Modern Records of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and a 2000-year Ice-core Record from Law Dome, Antarctica
- What does the lag of CO2 behind temperature in ice cores tell us about global warming?
Slide 14 - Global Warming is Happening?
- But Why?..