MGT 347 Library Research Presentation
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Matthew LaBrake
- Library Director for Online Degree Programs
- MGT 347 Argumentative Research Paper
- Research Support from the Online Library
Slide 2 - Assignment Description
- The student will write a five-page (excluding the bibliography) argumentative paper. This will require to review the literature regarding a current staffing issue and take a position on the issue. This paper requires at least five scholarly sources using proper APA or MLA format.
- Upon completion of assignment the student will be able to:
- 1. Analyze a selection issue in the context of human resource planning.
- 2. Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose; in this case taking a position.
- 3. Demonstrate consistent use of credible, relevant sources to support ideas that are situated within the HR discipline
- 4. Describes importance of issue /problem considered critically – as it relates to the discipline of management.
- 5. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of context, audience, and purpose that is responsive to the assigned task(s).
Slide 3 - Why use library databases?
- Databases are searchable collections of academic journals, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, reference books, company reports, etc.
- Library databases are especially useful because they:
- Get their information from professionals or experts in the field, which means that the information found in them is reliable for academic research.
- Are updated frequently and include the date of publication. It is important that your paper contains current information.
- Are easy to cite in a bibliography. In fact, many databases will even create the citation for you! This is important because you will need to cite all of your sources in MLA format.
- Can help you. narrow down your topic or suggest related subjects. This is an important part of the research process.
Slide 4 - Log Into Blackboard!!!
- To access the library databases you will need to be logged into Blackboard. If, at any point, you are presented with a yellow screen asking you to log-in, use your blackboard credentials to do so!
Slide 5 - Best database for this assignment:ProQuest ABI/inform complete
- The library subscribes to over 80 scholarly databases. Some are general while others specialize in particular subject areas.
Slide 6 - Developing Key Words
- Searching in a database is not the same as searching on the Internet. Using targeted key words in your search string will give you much more focused results. A “key word” is a word (or a set of words) that best describes your topic. If you aren’t successful with your first search attempt, change around your key words and try again.
- Example Topic – Social Media
- Driving Question – Should social media be used in hiring decisions?
- Search String – “Social Media” AND Hiring
- Additional Key Words to use along with (or in place of) Hiring –
- Staffing, Management, Human Resources, Discrimination, Employment, Recruitment
- Additional Key Words to use along with (or in place of) “Social Media” –
- Social Network, Web Presence, Online Profile, Facebook, Twitter, Digital Reputation
- Try different combinations of these key words in your search string for the best results!
Slide 7 - Access Library Databases through blackboard
Slide 8 - Browse the databases by subject, OR select “A-z List” to see an alphabetical list of databases
Slide 9 - Select ABI/inform complete from the list
Slide 10 - Perform a search using your pre-selected Key words
- Driving Question - Should social media be used in hiring decisions?
Slide 11 - Adding “Quotations” around your key words will ensure your search only brings back results that have those words in order.
Slide 12 - limit your search by publication date to find the most up to date information available
- Wow, less than 1/20 of the results we started with
Slide 13 - Use additional key words to limit your results even further
Slide 14 - Select an article, read through it, take notes, and make sure to cite your source
- The abstract will also contain the author’s thesis statement
Slide 15 - Need Immediate help? Chat with a Librarian!!http://berkeleycollege.libguides.com/LibChat
- Monday-Thursday - 8:30AM-11:30PM
- Friday – 9AM-9PM
- Saturday – 9AM-2PM & 7PM-11PM
- Sunday – 7PM-11PM