Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Testing Terminology
- Emerson Murphy-Hill
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
- Material Produced by NCSU Software Engineering Faculty.
Slide 2 - Verification & Validation (V&V)
- Verification: the process of evaluating a system or component to determine whether the products of a given development phase satisfy the conditions imposed at the start of that phase
- Verification: Are we building the product right?
- Validation: the process of evaluating a system or component during or at the end of the development process to determine whether it satisfies specified requirements
- Validation: Are we building the right product?
- Definitions: IEEE, "IEEE Standard 610.12-1990, IEEE Standard Gloss. of Software Engineering Terminology," 1990.
Slide 3 - Verification & Validation (2)
Slide 4 - Mistake, fault, failure
- Programmer makes a mistake.
- Fault (defect, bug) appears in the program.
- Fault remains undetected during testing.
- The program fails during execution i.e. it behaves unexpectedly,an error is detected/a failure is observed.
- ©A. Mathur, L. Williams
- Error: difference between computed, observed, or measured value or condition and true, specified, or theoretically correct value or condition
Slide 5 - One Testing Process
- Write test cases
- Write program
- Run test on program
- Actual == Expected?
- Write more test cases