HEA 101 - Health Care Issues
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Hea 101 Healthcare Issues Term Paper
- Matthew LaBrake
- Library Director for Online Degree Programs
Slide 2 - Your Assignment
- We will be discussing important and controversial healthcare issues throughout this quarter. You will select an issue that is near and dear to your heart, whether it is because it affects you, your family, your work, our society or the world.
- You must clearly state the issue, discussing both its background and current situation and the impact upon the respective stakeholders. You must come to a conclusion as to what will or should happen in the future with this issue. The issue will be discussed in a three page report, written according to the APA format. All quoted material must be properly cited and plagiarism will not be tolerated.
- At least three sources are required. Sources can include articles from library databases, eBooks, reliable Internet websites, and books. Each individual paper will be written and graded separately (using the rubric below).
Slide 3 - Assignment Rubric
Slide 4 - Why Use Databases?
- • Databases are searchable collections of academic journals, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, reference books, company reports, etc.
- • Library databases get their information from professionals or experts in the field. We know information found in them is reliable for academic research.
- • Library databases are easy to cite in a bibliography and many create the citation for you. You need to cite all of your sources in APA format.
- • Library databases can help you narrow down your topic or suggest related subjects. This is an important part of the research process.
- • Library databases are updated frequently and include the date of publication. It is important that your paper contains current information.
Slide 5 - Log into Blackboard!
- To access the databases you will need to be logged into blackboard. If you are presented with a yellow screen asking you to log-in, use your blackboard credentials to do so!
Slide 6 - Library Databases to ExploreThe library subscribes to over 80 databases. These are the best ones to use for this assignment!
- Pro/Con Databases
- Health Databases
Slide 7 - Differences in Content
- This database covers today’s hottest social issues and is a great place to get some ideas for your research topic.
- A depository of online encyclopedias and reference materials. Use this database to get an overview of your topic and decide on some specifics to discuss.
- Filled with scholarly articles written by healthcare professionals. Use this database to perform specific key word searches on the sub-topics you wish to explore deeper.
Slide 8 - Let’s walk through searching in “ProQuest Health and Medical complete”
Slide 9 - Access Library Databases through Blackboard
Slide 10 - OR select “A-z List” to see an alphabetical list of databases
- Browse the databases by subject
Slide 11 - Scroll through the list to find “Health and medical Complete”
Slide 12 - Perform a keyword search for your topic
- I’m using “Public Health” as a starting point for my research in this example. As this is only a 3 page paper I will need to be much more specific to avoid becoming overwhelmed with information!
Slide 13 - Adding “Quotations” around your key words will ensure your search only brings back results that have those words in order.
Slide 14 - Add in Specific keywords to focus your results
Slide 15 - limit your search by publication date to find the most current information available
- We started with over 1.5 million results!
Slide 16 - Use additional keywords to limit your results even further
Slide 17 - Select an articleread through it take notesmake sure to cite your source!
Slide 18 - Need Immediate help? Chat with a Librarian!!http://berkeleycollege.libguides.com/onlinestudent
- Monday-Thursday - 8:30AM-11:30PM
- Friday – 9AM-9PM
- Saturday – 9AM-2PM & 7PM-11PM
- Sunday – 7PM-11PM