Software Economics Introduction
Email this Mix
Tags: Software Enginering
Slide 1 - Software Economics Introduction
- Emerson Murphy-Hill
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
- Material Created by NCSU Software Engineering Faculty.
Slide 2 - Review of Terms
- Course pack, page 35.
Slide 3 - The cost of quality
- Cost of quality (COQ) =
- Failure cost + Appraisal cost + Prevention cost
- Failure cost = cost of diagnosing a failure, making necessary repairs, and getting back into operation
- Appraisal cost = cost of evaluating the product to determine its quality level; cost of finding faults, causing failures
- Design & code reviews
- Prevention cost = cost associated with identifying the causes of defects and actions taken to prevent them in the future; cost of preventing the injection of faults
- Causal analysis, process improvement
- Pair programming, test-driven development
Slide 4 - Boehm – Cost of Change Curve
- Boehm, B., Software Engineering Economics, 1981.
Slide 5 - Hours to find & fix a defect
- Humphrey, W., A Discipline for Software Engineering, 1995.