Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Food
- Flipped classroom support for JBlog textbook 1 page 33
Slide 2 - Let’s look at some basic Japanese etiquette rules
Slide 3 - How do the western & Japanese ideas of politeness vary in this clip?
Slide 4 - Intercultural language learning
- He thinks their slurping is rude.
- They think his style of slurping is rude – uses chopsticks incorrectly, flicks his noodle
- He refuses her offer of food
- He doesn’t wait for her to offer the sake to him and she is forced into choosing between pouring for her father and him
- He refuses her pouring later and pours his own
- He puts his chopsticks standing up in the rice bowl
Slide 5 - Obentou
- What is an おべんとう? Definition
- How much are they in Japan? Let’s look at a Japanese website : Japanese obento website
Slide 6 - Key vocabulary
- There are 4 key words we need for obento day. These include :
- おべんとう : obento (boxed lunch)
- いただきます : said before you eat
- ごちそうさま（でした）: said after you finish eating
- おはし : chopsticks
Slide 7 - すし
Slide 8 - さしみ
Slide 9 - Genius challengeてんさいチャレンジ
- What is the difference between sushi and sashimi?
Slide 10 - Genius challengeてんさいチャレンジ
- Sushi always has rice.
- Sashimi is just the raw seafood or meat.
Slide 11 - てんぷら
Slide 12 - やきそば
Slide 13 - にくまん
Slide 14 - みそしる
Slide 16 - Let’s play the food kahoot quiz to check our progress.
- Food Kahoot
Slide 17 - Etiquette check number 2
Slide 18 - Dangerous foods
- What is the most dangerous food to eat in Japan?
- What do most people in Australia get food poisoning from?
- What is the most common anaphylactic allergy in Australia?
- Listen to the sound files to hear the answers
Slide 19 - ふぐ
Slide 20 - Intercultural language learning
- Watch Gakusei Seikatsu : りょうり
- 1a.) List 4 ingredients used in okonomiyaki that you think would be written in Katakana.
- b.) Why would they be written in that script?
- 2a).List 3 rules of dining etiquette in the Japanese culture.
- b) How do these compare with other cultures we are familiar with?
- 3a.What phrases are necessary for eating in Japanese?
- b) Do we have similar phrases in the Australian culture?
- c) Do you know of similar phrases in other cultures?