Plumbum and Touch
Created 2 years ago
Developed out of The Ninth Workshop on the Impact of Pen and Touch Technology on Education High School Design Challenge.
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Plumbum and Touch: The Renaissance of Scientific Inquiry
- Presented by
- Dr. Michelle Zimmerman @mrzphd
- on behalf of
- Aerin Malana and Scott Nguyen
- Scientific Inquiry
- Virtual-to-Life Maker Movement Design
- We came up with a concept that lets
- users solve different objectives by using scientific inquiry
- Equipping pen and touch technology
Slide 3 - 1
- A sandbox game called ‘Besiege’ is similar to our concept.
- However, our concept allows users to be put into a virtual workshop, ink sketches, blueprints and build contraptions.
- Design and tested in a game engine applying physics
- Re-design based on how the design responds to real-world simulations
- Build contraptions by downloading created blueprints
- Make them in real life
- Share final product with the social platform
- Scan to see my research: First Grade and Besiege
- Scan to find Besiege in the store:
- Setting: The Renaissance
- Objective: complete challenges to create and make
- Using pen and touch technology to sketch out blueprints, build your contraption
- in a 3D environment
- Testing game engine applies real world physics to the created design
- Socratic method and guiding questions will be asked supporting scientific inquiry:
- Why did it fail?
- Why did it succeed?
- Allows you to download and upload blueprints off the Internet
- created and tested by other users. Modify, extend, and re-design.
- Within the program, pen and touch technology
- allows users to be more involved in the creation
- of their contraption
- If our game concept is ever developed, we hope
- collaboration will spread to people all over the
- world, with the potential of expanding our program
- in ways beyond we had ever imagined.
- This game can reach a broad audience. The mode can vary.
- Beginning: basic concepts, such as structure and design
- Challenge: focused on higher grades, involving subjects such as physics,
- meteorology, or aerodynamics
- After the players build their contraptions in real life, they can create videos and share them with the community of this app.
- Design a solution to a complex real-world problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable problems that can be solved through engineering.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making
- a. Identify and define authentic problems and significant questions for investigation
- b. Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project
- c. Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes
- Determine the central ideas or conclusions of a text; trace the text's explanation or depiction of a complex process, phenomenon, or concept; provide an accurate summary of the text.
- Analyze the structure of the relationships among concepts in a text, including relationships among key terms (e.g., force, friction, reaction force, energy).
- Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks, attending to special cases or exceptions defined in the text.
Slide 11 - Michelle Zimmerman, PhD @mrzphd