MIX Composting at Augsburg College, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Composting at Augsburg College, Minneapolis
- Melissa B’s Passion Project Service Component
- Larkins pre-ap English 10
Slide 2 - Steps
- Passion Project Paper
- Help put up signs for new compostable paper towels
- Passion Project Fair
- Composting and Recycling in Colleges
- Augsburg College (
- Late April,
Slide 3 - Topic: Composting and Recycling in Colleges
- My “lightbulb”
- Reduce environmental footprint
- Ecological benefits
- My Thesis: In order to enact change, I will contact local colleges about their problem and help them to initiate change by first informing them of the ecological and economic benefits of recycling and composting and then by helping them set up separate bins for different waste and making signs to inform people on how to use the bins.
Slide 4 - My action
- Mid-April, 2015: implemented pilot program
- 2 locations: Foss Loback Miles Center, Anderson Music Hall
- Compostable paper towel signage, added small trash bins, added general composting signage
- In the future:
- Implement the compostable paper towels and signage all around campus
- In the next month or so and/or the summer
Slide 5 - My action
Slide 6 - Reflection
- Liberal student body willingness to be involved in composting initiatives
- Simple signage massive change
- A few hours lasting impact
Slide 7 - So what?
- What can I do?
- Next steps
- What can you do?
- Buy packaging that is recyclable or compostable
- Avoid Styrofoam!
- Start a small compost bin in your backyard
- Help others sort their waste
- At lunch, at home
Slide 8 - Thank you for listening!