DESCRIPTION OF THE MECHANISMS INVOLVED IN INCREASING MOTOR AXON
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - DESCRIPTION OF THE MECHANISMS INVOLVED IN INCREASING MOTOR AXON REGENERATION AFTER INJURY
- Melissa Smith 17267175
Slide 2 - CONTENT
- ANATOMY OF THE PERIPHERAL NERVE
- REGENERATION OF AXONS
- NEUROTROPHIC FACTORS
- SURGICAL REPAIR
- RESEARCH FINDINGS
Slide 3 - Introduction
Slide 4 - ANATOMY OF PERIPHERAL NERVES
- Peripheral nerve
- Connective tissue
- Nerve components
- Nerve Fibres
Slide 5 - Regeneration of Axons.Nerve RegenerationSchwann cellsSevere Nerve InjuryMotor NerveSensory Nerve
Slide 6 - Regeneration of Nerve FibersThe Cellular and Molecular Basis of Peripheral Nerve Repair
Slide 7 - Neurotrophic FactorsProteinsNerve Growth Factor (NGF)Growth Factor
Slide 8 - Surgical RepairEpineural RepairFascicular RepairGrafting Repair
- (Flores et al. 2000)
- (Evans 2001)
Slide 9 - Research Findings
- (Gordon et al.2009)
Slide 10 - ConclusionThe peripheral nerve response of an injury is unique as it has the ability to regenerate lost connections. The CNS does not share this same ability. However, further research is needed for better advances in surgical and therapeutic treatments for PNI injury.
Slide 11 - References
- Burnett, G.M, MD & Zager, I. E, MD 2004, Pathophysiology of peripheral nerve injury: a brief review, Neurosurg Focus, vol.16
- Evans, R.D.G 2001, Peripheral Neve injury: A Review and Approach to Tissue enginerred Constructs, The Anatomical record, vol. 263, pp. 396-404.
- Flores, J.A, MD, Lavernia, J. C,MD & Owens W.P, MD March 2000, Anatomy and physiology of peripheral injury and repair, The American Journal of Orthopedics.
- Gordon, T, Chan, M.K, Sulaiman, A.R. O, Udina, E, Amirjani, N & Brushart, T.M 2009, Accelerating Axon Growth to Overcome Limitations in Functional Recovery After Peripheral Nerve Injury, vol. 65, No. 4.
- Martini F. H, Ober W.C & Nath J.L 2011, Visual Anatomy and Physiology, Pearson Education, INC, U.S.A
- Near,L.S, Whalen, L. R, Miller, A.J & Ishh, N. D 1992, Insulin-like growth factor II stimulates motor nerve regeneration, Neurobiology, vol. 89, pp. 11716-11720
- Purves, D, Augustine, J. G, Fitzpatrick, D, Hall, C.W, LaMantia, A.S & White, E.L 2012, Neuroscience, Fifth Edition, Sinauer Associates, Inc, U.S.A
- Saladin, K.S 2010, Anatomy and Physiology: The Unity of Form and Function, Fifth Edition, the McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc, New York.
- Wein, D, Novikova, N.L, Wiberg, M, Kellerth, O.J & Novikov. N, L 2008 Survival and regeneration of cutaneous and muscular afferent neurons after peripheral nerve injury in adult rats, Exp Brain Res, vol. 186, pp. 315-323.