Separation Challenge PowerPoint
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Year 7 science
- Mitchell Layton
Slide 2 - Aim
- Our aim was to separate 5 substances from each other using different materials.
Slide 3 - Method
- Shake the mixture until foam rises.
- Extract the iron filings with magnet.
- Add some water.
- Scoop the sand out.
- Use the filter paper to get salt and sand.
- Extract the salt with evaporation.
- Extract the sand with density.
Slide 4 - Materials
- Iron Filings, Rice, Sand, Salt, Foam
Slide 5 - risks
- Beaker : Glassware, Be Careful
- Stirring Rod : Glassware, Be Careful
- Bunsen Burner : Flame, Stay Away
Slide 6 - quiz
Slide 7 - Discussion
- Overall, the experiment was a success and was completed. Our task was to separate different substances from each other. We scooped out the foam then removed the iron filings with the magnet. We followed the steps through, finishing with evaporating the water from the salt using the Bunsen burner. All the substances were then separated from one another. The habits of mind we used were: Persisting, Finding Humour and Using Past Knowledge.
Slide 8 - conclusion
- In the end we were able to successfully separate the 5 substances in this experiment. There were a few little problems here and there and we also found that most of the separation techniques worked and that the experiment was completed.