Session 2 - Inspiration of Scripture AUDIO 1-26-15
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Spring 2015 Study
- “Preparing For The Future”
Slide 2 - Tonight’s Session
- Brief Review of Last Session
- Examine The Bible’s Claim of INSPIRATION
- Consider Evidences
- Book and Website
- Why Study The Old Testament
Slide 3 - Review
- The Call
- Our Need
- Your Preparation
- The Lord’s Workmen
- Brief Examination of THE BIBLE
Slide 4 - Inspiration of The Scripture
- INFALLIBILITY. Belief in an infallible, authoritative, reliable Scripture has always been a part of the faith of the Church. Faith, by biblical definition, requires a sure Word of God. The very reality of faith as a sure knowledge and hearty confidence depends upon a Scripture whose truth is certain and unfailing.” (1)
Slide 5 - 1 Corinthians 2:9-13
- 9 But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
- Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."*
- 10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
- 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
- 13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy* Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
Slide 6 - 2 Tim 3:16-17
- 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
- 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- 2 Peter 1:21
- for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God* spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
Slide 7 - Eph 3:1-5
- For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles —
- 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you,
- 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already,
- 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ),
- 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets:
- John 16:13
- However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
Slide 9 - Inspiration of The Scripture
- “Thus Saith The Lord”
- 420 times
- “The Lord says”
- 10 times
- “God said”
- 44 times
- “God says”
- 6 times
Slide 10 - Inspiration of The Scripture
Slide 11 - External Evidences
- Reason and Law of Probability (Explosion in a print shop perfectly typesetting the Oxford Dictionary with all footnotes)
- Logic Something Is, Therefore Something Always Was. What?? Eternal Matter or Eternal Maker
- Perfection in Nature Romans 1:20 and Psalms 19:1-4 (Must be a designer and engineer)
Slide 12 - External Evidences
- Facts of Its Origin: Written by over 40 different contributing authors spanning over 1500 years many of which were separated by time, distance, and culture.
- Scientific Foreknowledge:
- Roundness of Earth Isaiah 40:22
- Gravity Job 26:7
- Archeological Finds
Slide 13 - Internal Evidences
- Prophecy: (Dead Sea Scrolls show the time element of the writings)
- Unity, Brevity, Impartiality, Simplicity and Profundity
- www.apologeticspress.com; www.answersingenesis.org; www.icr.org
- Oliphant Smith Debate; The Genesis Flood; What is Creation Science . . .
Slide 14 - Purpose of The Old Testament
- Awareness and Consciousness of Sin
- Romans 3:20
- Galatians 3:19
- Romans 7:7-13
- Teach Us about The Coming of Christ
- Study of Isaiah
- Luke 24:43-47
- John 5:39
Slide 15 - Purpose of The Old Testament
- Serve as the System of Civil Government for the Jews…
- Prevent the spread of idolatry and false Worship
- Pictorial outline of the Scheme of Redemption (He. 10:1)
- Act as a Provisional Arrangement-Jer. 31:31-34
Slide 16 - Why Study the Old Testament?
- MANY CRUCIAL Doctrines are taught in the Old Testament…
- Nature of God (Holy, Just, Good, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Unchangeable, Eternal, Love)
- Nature of Sacrifice…
- Shedding of Blood
- Innocent for the Guilty
Slide 17 - Why Study the Old Testament?
- Proofs of Inspiration…
- Continuity, harmony, unity of Scripture
- Pre-Scientific Knowledge
- Reliable Historical accounts
Slide 18 - Why Study the Old Testament?
- Couldn’t understand the New Testament without the Old Testament…
- “Remember Lot’s wife.” Lk. 17:32
- Heroes of Faith He. 11
- The Tabernacle He.9:1-9
- “As it was in the days of Noah” Mt. 24
Slide 19 - Why Study the Old Testament?
- F or our learning…
- Romans 15:4
- 1 Corinthians 10:11-13
- 1 Cor 10:11-13
- Now all* these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
- 12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
- 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
Slide 20 - Why Study the Old Testament?
- Strength from O.T. Characters …
- Patience of Job
- Meekness of Moses
- Courage of Daniel
- Purity of Joseph
- Obedience of Abraham
Slide 21 - Why Study the Old Testament?
- Learn from Individuals Mistakes…
- King Saul
- Learn that God blesses the obedient and punishes the disobedient He.2:1-4
Slide 22 - Outline of Future 2015 Sessions
- OrientationInspiration of ScriptureGenesis Though DeuteronomyJoshua Through 2 KingsThe Prophets
- The Old Testament Poetry/NT surveyThe Law, Adam, AbrahamThe Passover Lamb & The Tabernacle Types and Prophecies of Christ
- (Brazen Serpent, Jonah, High Priest,
- Prophet, King, Birth, Death, Resur, Set Free)The Life of Christ Part 1The Life of Christ Part 2The Life of Christ Part 3The Teachings of Christ Part 1
- The Teachings of Christ Part 2 The Gospel of ChristThe Just Shall Live By Faith
- Examples of ConversionProcess of Conversion Part 1
- Process of Conversion Part 2Last Will and Testament of Christ
- “I’m A New Man” (New Creature)The Holy SpiritThe Christ, The Cross, and The Church
- The Establishment of The Church
- The Identity of The ChurchNew Testament Worship
- Authority, The Pattern, and Innovation (1)
- Authority, The Pattern, and Innovation (2)
- Authority, The Pattern, and Innovation (3)
- Authority, The Pattern, and Innovation (4)
- Basis For Christian Unity
- FellowshipSpiritual Gifts and MiraclesChurch Government
- Church Discipline
- Works of Flesh and Fruits of Spirit
- The Christian Graces
- Love & The Law of Love
- The Devil and Temptation