Schooled-Persuasive Writing-Lesson 7-How to give a great speech
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Did you know?
- Public speaking-talking in front of a group of people.
Slide 2 - How to Give a GREAT Speech!
- Public speaking doesn’t have to be terrifying. Here’s how to capture and keep the crowd’s attention.
Slide 3 - Lesson Objectives
- Essential Question(s):How do you deliver a great speech?
- By the end of the lesson, you should be able to:
- Understand Oral Presentation Requirements
- Know tips and tricks on delivering a speech
- Confidently present your speech
- State Standards:
- CC.1.5.8.G: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard
- English when speaking.
- Student Terms: Speak to a group of people using correct English.
Slide 4 - Vocabulary
- Public Speaking
- Let’s review our vocab terms, class!
Slide 5 - Quick Review
- Before you can give a speech, you must have it written in final draft format.
Slide 6 - Audience
- Remember who your audience is: Who are you talking to? Keep their wants and needs in mind as you speak to them.
- Sometimes a familiar phrase, image, song or creative cultural element—something universal to your audience—can make your point quickly and convey camaraderie more effectively than your own words.
- Universal-something common among a group of people
- Camaraderie- a feeling of good friendship among the people in
- a group
- Quick Review
- Who is your audience?
- How can you connect to your classmates?
- Make them feel important
- Address their wants and needs
- Use a common phrase, song, etc. to create a sense of
- camaraderie . You’re a team!
Slide 8 - Practice
- Giving a speech is intimidating, but YOU’VE GOT THIS! Just practice, practice, practice! Your message is important, so say it out loud until you can do so with certainty and confidence.
- Practice in front of the mirror. We may not see your face when you speak, but the way you speak gives clues as to what facial expressions you are making.
- Practice with a group of friends, teacher, parent, sibling, etc.
Slide 9 - Passionate
- Passionate-strong feelings and beliefs
- The best speeches are authentic and come straight from the heart!
- JUST BE YOU!