The five components of health related fitness
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - The five components of health related fitness.
- By: Troy Oldaker
- W.E. 2.3.07 – identify and discuss the components associated with health related fitness and participate in activities to improve fitness.
Slide 2 - The most important part of fitness! Having conditioned heart and lungs that can supply the body with oxygen without stress to the heart. We develop it by doing Aerobic Exercise. Aerobic exercise is continuous exercise lasting 2 or more minutes. In order to improve cardiovascular endurance, aerobic exercise should be performed at least 3 times per week, 15-20 minutes each day.
- Examples : Jumping Rope, swimming, running, riding a bike.
Slide 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KPskEdeqx8
- Pacer test video
Slide 4 - The amount of force produced by a muscle. Needed for activities that require above normal effort. Having poor muscular strength will increase the chance of getting hurt when doing activities that require above normal effort. To increase your muscular strength, you would perform exercises using heavy weight and do the exercise 3-6 times. The muscles get stronger when they keep working past the point of fatigue. This forces the body to adapt. Remember it takes time to allow your body to adapt!!
- Example : Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, and lifting weights.
- Muscular Strength
Slide 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-EGC9jBC44
- Push Up Test
Slide 6 - The amount of force produced by a muscle over a period of time. Muscular endurance is also closely related to cardiovascular endurance. Why? Because in order to perform aerobic exercise long enough (at least 15 minutes) to benefit the heart and lungs, you need muscular endurance to be able to exercise continuously for this long. We improve muscular endurance by using light weight and do the exercise at least 15 times.
- Example: Sit-Ups, basketball, football, soccer.
- Muscular Endurance
Slide 7 - The looseness or elasticity of a muscle, which allows the joint to move through a full range of motion. This is the most neglected part of fitness. Flexibility is affected by: 1.Gender, 2.Age, 3. Size and condition of muscle. Muscles should always be warmed before they are stretched. Poor flexibility increases risk of injury.
- Example: Toe Touches, butterfly stretch, windmills.
Slide 8 - Body Composition
- The percentage of body fat compared to lean body tissue.
- It can be a health problem if body fat percentage is above 30%.
- Scale weight means nothing if you don’t know your percent of body fat.
Slide 9 - ASSIGNMENT
- After this lesson there will be a written assignment
- and an activity assignment.
- Written Assignment : complete a week long activity log.
- Activity : In P.E. class participate in exercises to improve all five components of health related fitness.