REPRODUCTION AND MEIOSIS
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Reproduction and Meiosis
Slide 2 - Review of Types of Reproduction
- One parent produces offspring (kids)
- Offspring receive 100% of DNA from one parent
- Two parents produce offspring (kids)
- Offspring receive 50% of DNA from each parent
- Types of Sexual Reproduction
- Internal Fertilization (ex: HUMANS)
- External Fertilization (ex: FISH)
Slide 3 - What is DNA?
- “Blueprint of Life”
- Carries the instructions for making a living thing
- Stores and transmits all genetic and hereditary information
- ALL living things contain DNA!
- Your DNA is not your own…it came from your parents
Slide 4 - DNA and Chromosomes
- DNA is located in the nucleus.
- Most of the time, it forms long, loose strands.
- *Sometimes, DNA coils itself up to form compact structures called CHROMOSOMES
- Only visible during cell division!
Slide 5 - DNA: Two Physical Forms
- DNA, most of the time
- DNA, during cell division
Slide 6 - How to (BIOLOGICALLY) MAKE A BABY!
Slide 7 - BEFORE: Gamete Formation
- Adults produce sex cells called GAMETES
- Males = SPERM
- Females = OVA (eggs)
- These cells contain HALF the amount of DNA as a typical body cell
Slide 8 - The process of producing sex cells is called MEIOSIS
- Meiosis ONLY takes place in the SEX ORGANS
- Males = testes
- Females = ovaries
Slide 9 - Human Life Cycle