Le subjonctif PP with video
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Le subjonctif
- An explanation
Slide 2 - Pour utiliser le subjonctif il faut avoir 3 choses
- The sentence contains two different clauses (a dependent and a main clause) with two different subjects. (It is necessary that I …)(My parents want me to…)
- 2. The clauses are joined by que (that) or, in special instances, by qui (who).
- 3. One of the clauses shows a : *wish, *want, *need, *necessity, *emotion, *doubt, or *denial, or * one of the clauses requires the subjunctive in some other respect
- Typically there is some intro phrase (found in your subjunctive packet) followed by QUE then another subject (je, tu, il, elle, nous, vous, ils/ells) and then the subjunctive form of the next verb.
- Use this formula:
- 1 2 3 4
- PHRASE FROM PACKET QUE SUBJECT SUBUNJCTIVE
- Example: il faut que tu sois honnête
Slide 4 - How to form the subjunctive of regular verbs:
- You need the stem of the verb + the subjunctive ending to match the subject pronoun
Slide 5 - How to get the stem of regular verbs?
- To form the stem of the verb you take the ils/elles form of the verb, and drop the –ent.
- the verb parler- ils parlent drop the –ent and stem = parl
- the verb finir-ils finissent drop the –end and stem =finiss
Slide 6 - What are the endings for the subjunctive?
- Je -e
- Tu -es
- Il/elle/on -e
- Nous -ions
- Vous -iez
- Ils/elles -ent
Slide 7 - Putting it all together
- If you wanted to use Parler in the subjunctive:
- Il faut que tu parles avec ta mère.
- Explanation: The first half of this sentence meets the conditions to use the subjunctive.
- There is a subjunctive phrase (il faut)
- The word ‘que’ is present,
- There is a second subject (tu).
- =that the next verb is used in the subjunctive
Slide 8 - There is also an entire list of verbs that are irregular.
- You will most likely need to reference this list each time you use the irregular subjunctive verbs.
- Here are some of the irregular verbs in the subjunctive:
- Faire-to make/to do Etre-to be
- Pouvoir-to be able to Avoir-to have
- Savoir-to know Aller-to go
- Vouloir-to want
Slide 9 - What are the phrases that use the subjunctive?
- There are several categories that use the subjunctive:
- With: doubt, denial, disbelief
- With: wish, want, command
- With: emotions or feelings
- With: the listed expressions
Slide 10 - Those categories are the phrases from your packet!!!!!
- All of those categories are what begins your sentence.
- Examples: (each phrase would be followed by ‘que’)
- Doubt, denial, disbelief
- Wish, want, command
- Emotion or feeling
- JE DOUTE
- JE VEUX
- JE SUIS TRISTE
- IL FAUT
- JE NE SAIS PAS
- JE PREFERE
- JE SUIS SURPRIS
- IL EST NECESSAIRE
- JE SUIS IRRITE
- IL EST IMPORTANT
Slide 11 - Now if you need to practice, create some sentences where you use the subjunctive.
- Don’t forget, the subjunctive form of a verb is only used after
- que + subject subjuctive