Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Pain and plasticity of the central nervous system
- Research based on the findings of “Functional Connections Formed by Saphenous Nerve Terminal Sprouts in the Dorsal Horn Following Neonatal Sciatic Nerve Section” by Peter Shortland and Maria Fitzgerald
- Laura Certoma 17383921
Slide 2 - Findings in Functional connections…
- Terminal sprouts of saphenous nerve in dorsal horn made functional connections in damaged sciatic nerve terminals
- These sprouts overcompensate by exciting more neurons and having a larger number of synapses than normal
- (Shortland & Fitzgerald 1991)
Slide 3 - Sprouting
- Used synonymously as ‘nerve regeneration’
- “The regrowth and reconnection of viable and functional neural connections damaged by transection or other trauma”*
- Growth of AXONS and projection of DENDRITES
- *(Nerve regeneration 2002)
- (St John 2014)
- (Neural Engineering)
Slide 4 - Functional connections from peripheral damage
- Tissue damage increases synaptic function and is activity dependent
- Neonatal spinal cord function differs to adult
- Adult: inflammation enhances glycinergic inhibition
- Neonate: damage may increase glutamatergic synapses in dorsal horn
- (Baccei 2010)
Slide 5 - The pain matrix
- The conscious feeling and action of pain
- Lateral areas of pain matrix locate and measure the intensity of pain
- Medial areas code for the affect of pain and emotion associated with the pain
- (Cortelli et al. 2013)
- (Martin 2003)
Slide 6 - Conclusion
- Initial report by Shortland & Fitzgerald shows that plasticity in spinal cord makes functional changes by nerve sprouting
- This plasticity is induced by damage, resulting in pain
- The pain matrix is a circuitry in the cortex that locates and manages pain sensation
Slide 7 - References
- Baccei, ML 2010, 'Modulation of developing dorsal horn synapses by tissue injury', Ann N Y Acad Sci, vol. 1198, pp. 159-67.
- Cortelli, P, Giannini, G, Favoni, V, Cevoli, S & Pierangeli, G 2013, 'Nociception and autonomic nervous system', Neurol Sci, vol. 34 Suppl 1, pp. S41-6.
- Martin, J 2003, Neuroanatomy text and atlas, 3rd edn, McGraw Hill, New York.
- Nerve regeneration 2002, McGraw-Hill, viewed 14th April 2015, <http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/nerve+regeneration>.
- Neural Engineering, viewed 14th April 2015, <http://orion.bme.columbia.edu/~kam/research/research.htm>.
- Shortland, P & Fitzgerald, M 1991, 'Functional Connections Formed by Saphenous Nerve Terminal Sprouts in the Dorsal Horn Following Neonatal Sciatic Nerve Section', European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 383-96.
- St John, J 2014, Trigeminal nerve cells of zebrafish in vivo, viewed 14th April 2015, <http://www.griffith.edu.au/science-aviation/eskitis-institute/staff/st-john-group/james-st-john>.
- Suppa, A, Biasiotta, A, Belvisi, D, Marsili, L, La Cesa, S, Truini, A, Cruccu, G & Berardelli, A 2013, 'Heat-evoked experimental pain induces long-term potentiation-like plasticity in human primary motor cortex', Cereb Cortex, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1942-51.