PURE or NOT 2015 Separation Challenge powerpoint
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - PURE or NOT?Separation Challenge
- By Joshua king
Slide 2 - The aim for the day
- The aim for today was to separate 5 different substances without damaging any.
Slide 3 - The method we used
- 1. Put a beaker under your sieve and put the mixture through the sieve and remove whatever is left over. Put it through another sieve but smaller than the last and then do it again with the smallest one.
- 2.Put the mixture on the watch glass and run the magnet over it.
- 3. Next put the mixture that is left in the watch glass into another beaker with some water and stir.
- 4. Set up the filtering apparatus and fold your filter paper to put in the filter funnel.
- 5.Put a beaker under than funnel and the put the mixture through the funnel.
- 6. Set up the boiling apparatus.
- 7. Put some water in one of the big beakers and then put it on the apparatus.
- 8. Put some of the mixture on the watch glass and then put it on the beaker.
- 9. Light the Bunsen burner.
- 10.Then wait for the water to turn into salt crystals.
- 11.Finish and Celebrate
Slide 4 - The materials we used
- Materials: rice, iron filings, sand, salt, foam, Bunsen burner, water, beaker, tripod and a sieve, filter paper these are some of the materials for the day
- Separating salt
Slide 5 - Risks
- Preventative Measures
- Bunsen burner
- Pay attention
- Take of
- Tie back
- Handle with care
- Do not swallow.
Slide 6 - Discussion
Slide 7 - Conclusion
- In conclusion it was a good experiment and everything went to plan, we didn’t have to change everything and was very fun.