Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Role Interview
- Michael DiGangi
- JV, Nurse Educator; msn
Slide 2 - Aspects of LeadershipClinical Nurse Educator
- Help transform nursing education through meaningful interactions with students.
- Serve the student
- Help the student focus on becoming the best nurse they can be.
Slide 3 - Skills and AttributesClinical Nurse Educator
- Being a role model for the students
- Provide vision to the students
- Good listener
- Effective communication
- Success means that students not only excel academically but graduate and become RNs. Then continue their education to a higher level.
Slide 4 - ChallengesClinical Nurse Educator
- Length of time with students (length of quarter)
- Students don’t always take the clinical experience seriously
- Limited amount of hands on time for students
Slide 5 - AdvantagesClinical Nurse Educator
- Watch students grow
- See the student’s confidence and satisfaction grow
- Can lead and guide students in hands on, real world situations
- Not stuck in a classroom
Slide 6 - Quality ImprovementsClinical Nurse Educator
- Nursing Documentation
- Start early and continually strive to improve
Slide 7 - Legislative IssuesAdvance Practice Nurse
- Doctorate in nursing practice be required education for the advance practice nurse.
Slide 8 - Opportunities for influencing public policyAdvance Practice Nurse
- Nurse as advocate for patient
- Nurse in partnership with physicians
- Nursing is one of the most trusted professions
- Nurse has public respect
Slide 9 - Social, Political, Cultural and Economic Factors
- Nurse should be knowledgeable about economic and policy issues regarding decisions relating to their practice.
- Nurse should possess knowledge to understand changes in healthcare system.
- Nurse should be able to respond to changes and to advocate on behalf of themselves and their patients
Slide 10 - Conclusion
- I was able to interview one of my favorite clinical instructors. I have always been able to sit and speak with him on a one on one level and he never made me feel like I was below him. But, I can see that the role of the Clinical Nursing Instructor is a complicated one. I can understand why it takes someone with advanced education to have this role. It was an eye opening experience to be sure.