Email this Mix
Slide 1 - My portfolio
- By: Crystal C. Adams
Slide 2 - Table of contents…
- Personal and Professional Goals
- College Resources
- Writing Sample
- In-Class Sample
- Group Activities
Slide 3 - Personal goals…
- The biggest reason I am furthering my education is to be a good role model for my 10yr old daughter. I want to show her that with hard work, she can accomplish anything she sets her mind to. I believe that in order for me to stress how important education is, I must first have one. My goal is to teach her that learning never stops. I want her to know that it is possible to follow your dreams. I want to do my very best here at SPSCC to hopefully transfer into WSU.
Slide 4 - Professional goals…
- I would like to eventually earn a History degree and become a genealogist. Genealogy is very fascinating to me. I once spent 9hrs straight at my computer with my great-grandmother’s family bible researching my family tree. I was so enthralled, I was completely unaware of how much time had gone by. It wasn’t even the fact that it was my ancestry, it was the history of it all that I was excited about. I think that SPSCC has helped me already by taking this class! I will get to study a subject I love, and will hopefully lead into a fulfilling career.
- (photo credit: thelucidcenter.com)
Slide 5 - College resources…
- Student Services: I cannot afford to pay for school out of pocket. I enlisted the help of student services, and they showed me how to use financial aid. Without this valuable resource, I would not be able to pay my way through college.
- Cornell Notes: Learning how to take effective notes in this class has been a great tool. I have never been very good at taking notes. I have had difficulty in the past knowing what information is important, and what information can be left out. By using Cornell Notes, I am saving time, my notes are better structured and I am learning how to filter.
- The “Wizards”: While taking advantage of a tutoring session, I was introduced to the most magical of people. I had met the librarians. They helped relieve so much anxiety by teaching me that there were valuable resources at my fingertips.
Slide 6 - Writing sample…
- I chose to include my self-reflection essay as my writing sample. I believe that piece of writing really helped me put my goals in perspective. It helped me to better realize the valuable resources available to me, and helped me layout an effective plan of action.
Slide 7 - In class sample…
- My Answer:
- I absolutely believe you can improve your intelligence and talents. I refer back to the old saying of "practice makes perfect". Although, not any one person is perfect, you can sure develop the skills needed to better yourself. If there was no way to improve your intelligence or talents, why would people push so hard to get an education? I was a musician and actress all throughout school. If I didn't practice, I would not have been able to make auditions like I did. I am improving my intelligence with each wiki page I read, with each class I take, with every book I read and with every criticism I take in. I improve my skills at my job with every coaching I have. I believe it is important to take feedback, and help yourself grow as a person. Without improving oneself, there is nowhere to move forward into. There are no goals to feel good about reaching. I believe it is necessary to grow as individuals to lead a fulfilling life. It is important to look up to mentors and teachers to help you succeed. Without success, we are just existing. We are not moving forward.
- I have chosen to provide one of my Quickwrite responses. I chose this response mostly for the content. The prompt was, “Do you believe that you can improve your intelligence and talents? Why or why not?” I believe practice doesn’t make perfect, but it does make improvement.
Slide 8 - Group activities…
- I have truly enjoyed seeing the posts my classmates have shared with the class. My favorite assignment to see was the Dependable Strengths Exercise. It was inspiring to see how each of my classmates reached a goal that they had set out to accomplish. Being able to express how that made us feel with just a few words was truly moving. I also appreciated the ways everyone shared on how to get involved on campus. As a first time student (especially a strictly online student), there were so many things that I was not aware of. Being able to see the different ideas my peers had to be involved and a physical part of SPSCC was extremely informative and helpful. It has given me a lot more ideas of how I can participate.
Slide 9 - Thank you…
- Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. This class has helped me grow both academically and personally. Because of this class, I have a direction in my life that I am absolutely ecstatic about. I have observed very strong individuals that I can draw inspiration from. Thank you, and I wish everyone the very best of luck! Cheers!