photo & Resp notes
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Photosynthesis & Respiration
Slide 2 - What is Photosynthesis?
- Photosynthesis is a chemical reaction which occurs in plants and some algae.
- Photosynthesis takes carbon dioxide, water, and light energy and produces glucose and oxygen.
- Photosynthesis takes place in the chloroplasts of plants
Slide 3 - What is the equation for the chemical reaction of photosynthesis?
Slide 4 - What is the equation for the chemical reaction of photosynthesis?
- Six molecules of carbon dioxide react with six molecules of water to form 1 molecule of glucose and six molecules of oxygen.
Slide 5 - Why is this important to us?
- We cannot make our own food (glucose, energy), we must get our food from plants.
- Plants are the first step in the food chain.
- The oxygen released during photosynthesis is necessary for all living things.
Slide 6 - What is Cellular Respiration?
- Cellular respiration is also a chemical reaction.
- The chemical energy created in photosynthesis must be transformed so it is useful to the organism.
Slide 7 - What is the chemical equation for cellular respiration?
Slide 8 - Describe Cellular Respiration
- The breakdown of glucose molecules to release energy
- Takes place in all living things