Was the Devil ever in heaven Part 1
Email this Mix
Tags: Devil Satan
- Was the Devil Ever in Heaven?
- Is his name Lucifer, son of the morning?
- Was he an Anointed Cherub?
- Was there war in heaven?
- Did the Devil get
- kicked out of Heaven?
- Ricky Ricardo Morris
- Of the
- Church of God
- Chesapeake, VA
Slide 2 - The Origin of the Devil
Slide 3 - Things to remember
- There are different opinions on this subject
- It is not a subject that should cause division
- While we may have disagreements with other Christians on the origins of the devil, most everyone agrees on his certain destiny…. Hell.
- Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created….
- Colossians 1:16-17 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are upon earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Slide 5 - The Origin of the Devil
- Genesis 3:1
- The Serpent
- Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
Slide 6 - In the Garden…
- The enemy of souls was already there.
- He deceived Eve by lying to her (1Tim 2:14)
- She and Adam both spiritually died that day (Genesis 2:17)
- They were ….separated from ….God, their ….Creator
Slide 7 - Genesis 3:4-5 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Slide 8 - What Jesus said about the devil
- John 8:44
- Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Slide 9 - In the beginning…
- John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
- 1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
- Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
- Isaiah 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.
Slide 11 - Why did God create the Devil?
- To allow us to exercise our will to do good or evil
- If there were no option to do wrong, how could we show our love to God, for love is a choice.
Slide 12 - Walking to and fro in the earth
- Job 1:6,7
- Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.
- 7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
Slide 13 - If it is this simple, why the confusion?
- Primarily because of 3 scriptures:
- Isaiah 14:12-15
- Luke 10:17-20
- Revelation 12:7-9
Slide 14 - Isaiah 14:12-15
- Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
- Isaiah 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
- Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
- Isaiah 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
Slide 15 - Who was the audience?
- Isaiah 14:4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!
- Isaiah 14:16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms
Slide 16 - Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon
- Daniel 4:30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?
- Daniel 4:31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.
Slide 17 - God’s Judgment on Kings & Kingdoms
- The King of Babylon – Isaiah 14:4-
- The Prince of Tyrus – Ezekiel 28:1-10
- The King of Tyrus – Ezekiel 28:11- 19
- The Nation of Zidon – Ezekiel 28: 20 – 28
- Pharoah, King of Egypt – Ezekiel 29:1 – 17
- The Prophecy concerning Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon – Ezekiel 29:18 - 21
Slide 18 - Who is Lucifer?
- Isaiah 14:12King James Version (KJV)
- 12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Slide 19 - Who is Lucifer?
- Now, let us take a direct look at this 12th verse which mentions Lucifer who is said to have fallen from heaven as being cut down to the ground who DIDST weaken the nations.
Slide 20 - Lucifer
- A bright star, that ushers in the morning; but is here metaphorically taken for the mighty king of Babylon.
- It is not the name of the devil!
Slide 21 - The Prophecy of Lucifer Fulfilled in Daniel 4th Chapter
- Daniel 4:12-14King James Version (KJV)
- 12 The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it.
- 13 I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;
- 14 He cried aloud, and said thus, Hew down the tree, and cut off his branches, shake off his leaves, and scatter his fruit: let the beasts get away from under it, and the fowls from his branches:
- From this…
- …To this.
Slide 25 - Summary of Isaiah 14:12-15
- This text was about King Nebuchadnezzar and his downfall.
- “I will ascend into heaven”, “Is this the man…?”
- By the time of this writing, the devil had long been in the earth.
Slide 26 - Other Observations – Isaiah 14:1-24
- Vs. 4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon
- Vs. 4 the golden city ceased
- Vs.13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God:
- Vs. 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High
- Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms
Slide 27 - The Anointed Cherub
- Ezekiel 28:14-15
- He was an anointed Cherub
- Leader of the worship in Heaven
- Until iniquity was found in him (sin, rebellion, wickedness
Slide 28 - Other Observations
- Vs. 16 The Mount of God
- Vs. 17 Thine heart was lifted up
Slide 29 - Satan as lightning, falling from heaven!!
- Luke 10:17-20
- "And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject to you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven."
Slide 30 - Luke 10:17-20
- Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
- Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
- Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
- Luke 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
Slide 31 - Fallen from Heaven…
Slide 33 - “I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven”
- This was done and said in connection with the disciples of Christ and their work
- “the devils are subject unto us through thy name”
- Cannot apply to the devil falling from God’s heaven because he was already in the world.
- Refers to the ecclesiastical or spiritual heaven
- Eph. 2:6. And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus
- Satan lost his stronghold over the hearts and lives of those who were being delivered from the kingdom of darkness
Slide 34 - Revelation 12:7-9
- Revelation 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
- Revelation 12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
- Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Slide 35 - The Four Heavens
- There is the aerial heaven that surrounds this earth in which are the clouds as well as the sun, moon, and stars, etc. This is what is referred to in Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
- Then there is the ecclesiastical or spiritual heaven referred to in Eph. 2:6, "And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:" There are several other references in the Scriptures to these spiritual or church heavens.
- The third heaven or paradise is referred to in 2 Cor. 12:1-
- To understand this properly furnishes us the key to the proper interpretation to many Scriptures which would be very confusing in connection with other Scriptures if we do not understand this point and think that every time the term "heaven" is used in the Bible it refers only to the abode of God.
Slide 36 - War in Heaven
Slide 38 - Theories
- The devil was the most beautiful angel in heaven
- He was the worship leader and choir director of Heaven (example)
- He wanted to be like God
- He was Jesus’ brother
- He formed a rebellion (coup attempt) and got a bunch of angels to go along with him
Slide 39 - AD 96
- Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John
Slide 40 - The dragon (serpent) – Pagan Rome (paganism)
- And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world
- “he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”
- Revelation 12:10-11 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
- Refers to Christianity overcoming Paganism, which was the greatest enemy that the church faced in the early years.
Slide 42 - Summary
- The devil is a created being
- He was a murderer and liar from the very beginning
- He never was an angel in heaven
- The name “Lucifer” was not referring to the devil, but rather to the King of Babylon
- The only heaven the devil has ever been kicked out of is the hearts and lives of sinners who find salvation