Island of eLearnia
By Karl Richter
Created 3 years ago
This is an introduction to SCORM and Office Mix.
Email this Mix
- Welcome, first-time visitors!
- Tour the Island of eLearnia
- Tour Itinerary
- SCORM the Beach
- Cruise the Rapid Rapids
- Climb the LMS Mountains
- Meet the Natives who
- (Create, Assign, Track Modules)
- Look at a Free Solution for making SCORM content.
Slide 3 - SCORM the Beach
- SCORM is a standard that is used by all LMS systems to track completion.
- Your eLearning files will be
- put into a single .zip file.
- We often talk about SCORM files, but it’s not a file type.
- SCORM Module.zip
Slide 4 - Inside the ZIP
- SCORM Module.zip
- There are plenty of Authoring Tools in the Sea.
- Authoring tools create SCORM content for your LMS when you publish. Everyone can access published content, but source files require a license to make edits. (Or even open it)
- eLearning Authoring Tools
- Rapid eLearning is an iterative process.
- Multiple versions are made as designers work with subject matter experts.
- Cruising the Rapid Rapids
Slide 8 - Tools have varying degrees of interactivity. Many are PPT based. Some are not. Choose based on your needs.
- Do you need interactive quizzes?
- Screen Recordings?
- Software Simulations?
- Advanced Branching?
- What Do YOU Need?
- Upload a .zip file with SCORM content to your company’s LMS.
- These rigid systems dictate how you distribute courses to your audience.
- LMS Mountain Range
Slide 10 - Meet the Natives
- I’m an instructional designer. I work with Subject Matter Experts to identify learning goals, write content, and come up with interactions for learners to apply their knowledge.
Slide 11 - Meet the Natives
- I’m a developer.
- I take the work done by the ID and do the actual building of the modules.
Slide 12 - Who’s on the Island
- I’m the LMS Admin.
- I upload the SCORM content, then test it to be sure that tracking works properly.
- I assign required training modules.
- All those annoying email reminders to take a course are from the LMS, but I send them sometimes, too.
Slide 13 - Who’s on the Island
- I run reports to track activity on the LMS.
- We need to be sure that we can verify that mandatory training has been completed.
Slide 14 - Who’s on the Island
- We’re the people who take the modules. Don’t forget about us!
Slide 15 - Ready to Jump into eLearning?
- Office Mix lets you make SCORM files directly from Powerpoint.
Slide 17 - LMS Admin
- Visit mix.office.com to get started.
Slide 18 - Add the Plugin for this tab!
- Need to make software training?
Slide 19 - Surprisingly Powerful Quizzes
Slide 20 - For a free Plugin, this is a great tool
- If you compare to Captivate or Articulate, there’s still a lot it can’t do, but the price is right.
- Modules can be tracked through Office 365, so if you need to, you you can work without an LMS.
- The Cost of an LMS could go directly to the cloud-version of office which has additional outside benefits for an organization. (And can piggyback on someone else’s budget)
- Authoring tools create SCORM content. This standard allows content to be tracked and reported on.
- Office Mix is a free way to get started creating SCORM content without learning new Software.
Slide 22 - Most LMS systems treat learning as an independent activity.
- Learners are not typically stranded on an island.
- Our field needs to find ways to help them learn from one another.
- One last thought