Evidence for Pair Programming
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Evidence for Pair Programming
- Emerson Murphy-Hill
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
- Material Produced by NCSU Software Engineering Faculty.
Slide 2 - Research Findings to Date
- Strong anecdotal evidence from industry
- “We can produce near defect-free code in less than half the time.”
- Empirical Study
- Pairs produced higher quality code
- 15% fewer defects
- Pairs completed their tasks in about half the time
- 58% of elapsed time
- Pair programmers are happier programmers
- Pairs enjoy their work more (92%)
- Pairs feel more confident in their work products (96%)
- Williams, Laurie, et al. "Strengthening the case for pair programming." IEEE software 17.4 (2000): 19-25.
Slide 3 - More Evidence
- http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.4245 (2013) pair programming results in:
- 28% decrease in time
- 30% increase in effort
- http://qse.ifs.tuwien.ac.at/~winkler/pres/2013_XP.pdf (2013)