By Carlos Young
Created 3 years ago
Brief overview of Contao formerly known as TYpolight CMS
Email this Mix
Tags: CMS Wordpress Drupal
Slide 1 - Contao
- An open source content management system
- Formerly known as Typolight
Slide 2 - Features and overview
- Advanced editing features
- Fine-grained permission system
- Full-text search engine
- Built-in file manager
- Additional Installable modules
- Built-in CSS framework
- Contao has an intuitive user interface that uses Ajax and Web 2.0 technologies for optimal usability. Multiple back end languages and themes, a powerful permission system, versioning and undo management, advanced search and sorting options or the Live Update Service are just a few of many features that make Contao stand out from other CMS. The Contao front end is 100% template based and generates accessible XHTML strict output that meets the W3C/WAI requirements. Search engine friendly URLs, GZip support, a PDF export function, multi-language support and many more allow you to build contemporary websites without being a programmer.
Slide 3 - To start, download the latest Contao archive and extract it on your local computer.
Slide 4 - XamppConnecting to the databaseLog into your server administration panel (e.g. "Plesk" or "cPanel") and create a new database for Contao. Then enter the login credentials in the Contao install tool. Note that the Contao default character set UTF-8 is written as UTF8 in MySQL!
Slide 5 - Installationand SetupMove the Contao files you downloaded and extracted into the htdocs folder of your local installation (e.g. XAMPP) or upload them to your server with an FTP program. Depending on your server configuration, the public folder is most likely called htdocs, httpdocs, html or public_html.
Slide 6 - In the web browser navigate to the Contao Install Tool, Install.php and complete the installation of the CMS.Note : the install tool is protected against brute force attacks and will be locked if a wrong password has been entered three times in a row.
Slide 7 - Once Installation is Complete you can move on to setting up Contao in it’s backend
Slide 8 - Key Takeaways
- Front End/Backend Management
- Built-in CSS Engine
- Powerful File Manager
- Multi-User Support
- Powerful Changelog
Slide 9 - References
- Contao. Contao Open Source CMS Team, n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2014. <www.contao.org>.
- Contao Tutorial: How to Create a New Page. Perf. Doublespark's Channel. Youtube, 2014. Video
- Contao. Computer software. Contao.org. Vers. 3.04. Contao Open Source CMS Team, n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2014. <www.contao.org>.
- "Contao." Wikipedia. Wikipedia, 18 Jan. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2014. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contao>.
- "There It Is!" Typolight. Contao Open Source CMS Team, 18 Jan. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2014. <https://contao.org/en/news/there-it-is.html>.