Designing fair experiments
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - How to design fair science experiments
- Year 7 Science
Slide 2 - What is a fair experiment?
- In science, a fair experiment means you only change only one thing at a time and keep everything else the same.
Slide 3 - Experiment 1 - Is this fair?
- Zoe wanted to see whether salt water will make plants grow slower. She watered all the plants in her experiment every day for 2 weeks and then measured how tall they grew.
- Watered with fresh water
- Watered with salt water
Slide 4 - Experiment 2 - Is this fair?
- Sam wants to find out whether girls run faster than boys. She had girls and boys in her experiment running 50 metres and measured their times.
Slide 5 - Experiment 3 – Is this fair?
- Kim wanted to see whether lemons will slow the time for apples to turn brown.
- Apples with lemons
- Apples without lemons
Slide 6 - Experiment 4 – Is this fair?
- Andy wants to find out whether drinking coke will increase your heat rate. He measured the heart rate of two groups of people before and after they drank a can of coke.
Slide 7 - To design a fair experiment
- To be a scientist, you need to know how to design a fair experiment.
- A fair experiment is where only one thing is changed at a time and everything else is kept the same.