Using Quotations to Support a Thesis
Email this Mix
Slide 1 - Using Quotations to Support a Thesis
- Reading II
Slide 2 - What Writers Do:
- When writers discuss a literary work, they track their thinking , using direct quotations to highlight specific parts of the book or text that influenced that thinking.
- This process most resembles the A.C.E. method where A or answer would be substituted for the thesis statement
- The citations used must prove or support your opinion of the text.
Slide 3 - The Kernel Structure
Slide 4 - Animal Farm
Slide 5 - Student Model
Slide 6 - Your Turn!
- Read the short story A Cup of Tea by Katherine Mansfield. From the story choose a character to describe.
- Be sure to have a clear thesis. For example, in the model text the character Squealer is described as a typical trickster archetype.
- Be sure to support your thesis with quotes from the text.